7 Critical Things to Look for in a Web Designer
Your web designer largely determines the financial success of your business because your website design is one of the main determining factors of how many sales you will make. Therefore, choosing a qualified web designer may just be one of the most important decisions you will make in getting your business set up on the web. That being said, you need to know how to find the right web designer and there are 7 critical things you must look for:
- A good portfolio. Realistically, nothing else matters if you don't like their work. The websites they have designed should look good, function well and have a high conversion rate.
- Experience. You want a web designer that has been around the block a few times and knows how to handle any difficulties that may come up.
- Creativity. If all the websites they have designed are nice, but all too similar you will want to pass them by. If you want a cookie-cutter design you can by a pre-made template for a whole lot less money.
- Good customer service. You don't want to choose a web designer that doesn't answer your emails or phone calls promptly. If they aren't paying attention to you when you are a prospect, you can forget about hearing from them once they have your money.
- A high search engine ranking. Yes, you should search them before choosing them. If they can't get their own page to rank high on the search engines they may not have the skills to create a page for you that will rank high either. If your page isn't going to rank well there is really no point in having it at all.
- A fit for your budget. Of course you want to be flexible because the design is going to make you money, but you shouldn't have to take out a second mortgage to pay for your web design, either. Establish your budget and stick with it as best you can.
- Vision. You may or may not know what you want your page to look like. After explaining your ideas, or lack thereof to the web designer they should be able to explain their vision of what your web design will be.
A talented web designer is crucial to your business' success and this is certainly not something you should leave to chance. Don't be afraid to ask questions before handing over your credit card number or writing that check.